Almond Oil Benefits for Skin
Almond oil is one of the most often used carrier oils, and with a good reason. It is versatile, easy to blend with other ingredients and provides tones of benefits for your skin, hair and health.
If you’ve never been using it before, keep reading to find out what almond oil actually is and what makes it so great for your skin.
What Is Almond Oil?
When we talk about using almond oil as a carrier oil and for cosmetic purposes, we actually refer to sweet almond oil. There is also bitter almond oil, but the sweet one is better suited for direct topical applications to the skin.
Sweet almond oil is extracted from ripe seeds of sweet almonds (Prunus amygdalus var. dulcis). It has a pale golden color and a faint nutty scent. It is a semi-lightweight oil that leaves a pleasant, smooth feel on the skin.
For skincare, almond oil is often recommended to those with dry or mature skin, but it can be beneficial for all skin types.
How Has Almond Oil Been Used Historically?
Often referred to as the “king of nuts,” the almond is native to the Middle East and it has been grown along the Mediterranean shores probably even earlier than 4000 B.C. It has often been used to improve the brain function, as well as the overall health and wellbeing.
Almond oil had been highly appreciated in Ancient Chinese, Ayurvedic and Greco-Persian medicine. It was used to enhance muscles, bones and reproductive system and to improve the immunity. It has also been used topically to relieve eczema and psoriasis, improve the condition and health of the skin and even to reduce small scars.
What Are The Compounds Of Almond Oil That Make It So Beneficial For The Skin?
Amongst many skin friendly compounds that almond oil contains, these are the most important ones:
- Palmitic acid moisturizes and softens the skin and prevents future drying out. It also enhances the texture of the cosmetic products and it is often used as an emulsifying agent. Palmitic acid is also a surfactant, which means it can somewhat break down the oils and fats on our skin, allowing them to be washed away and that way gently cleansing the skin.
- Palmitoleic acid is an omega-7 monounsaturated fatty acid that has many benefits for your skin, hair and nails. It is soothing and moisturizing, and it delays the formation of wrinkles and fine lines. This acid promotes the synthesis of collagen and elastin and stimulates the skin renewal process.
- Stearic acid is a cleansing agent that helps remove all the dirt, excess oil and sweat from the skin. It also softens and moisturizes the skin and conditions the hair.
- Oleic acid (or omega-9 fatty acid) is a thick and nourishing non-essential fatty acids that gets easily absorbed when applied topically. It has moisturizing, soothing, anti-aging and regenerating properties. It is perfect for treating dry, irritated or damaged skin and for preventing the formation of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Linoleic acid is often used for treating oily and acne prone skin, as it can help make the sebum thinner. This acid can help you unclog your pores and even out your complexion. It also has restoring, protecting and rejuvenating effects on the skin.
- Linolenic acid (omega-3 fatty acid) is a polyunsaturated fatty acid. It is a naturally occurring acid that helps condition the skin, restore it, promote its health and youthful appearance and improve the function of the skin‘s protective barrier.
- Tocopherol (or vitamin E) is an antioxidant that you can find in many anti-aging products. It strengthens the skin, improves its elasticity and prevents the formation of wrinkles and fine lines. It is one of the best ingredients for protecting the skin against free radicals and preventing the oxidative stress damage.
- Cholesterol is a naturally occurring component of a healthy skin. It plays a major role in protecting the skin against the negative environmental influences and preventing drying out. Applied topically, cholesterol replenishes and restores the skin, strengthens it, improves its elasticity and maintains it optimally hydrated. It is especially helpful for sensitive, dry and mature skin.
What Are The Almond Oil Benefits For Skin?
And here’s a quick summary of why you should be using sweet almond oil on your skin:
- Almond oil moisturizes and restores dry, damaged and mature skin. It makes the skin soft and improves its appearance.
- It strengthens the skin’s lipid barrier that protects the skin against the elements and drying conditions.
- Sweet almond oil has natural anti-inflammatory properties. It can help you soothe red, itching or inflamed skin and promote the healing of damaged, chapped skin.
- Almond oil contains vitamin E and other antioxidant compounds. It protects the skin against free radicals, reduces the damage and prevents the formation of premature aging signs.
- It can also help you regulate the sebum production, unclog your pores, control acne breakouts and clear out your complexion.
- There are indications that sweet almond oil can stimulate the collagen production. It enhances the texture of your skin and makes it firm, supple and elastic.
- Many people swear by using sweet almond oil to diminish small scars, acne marks and dark aging spots. It is also a popular natural remedy for preventing pregnancy stretch marks.
- You can also use sweet almond oil to enhance the health and appearance of your hair, lips and nails and to reduce dark under eye circles.